What is Slow Carb?

The Slow Carb Diet is based around lowering insulin spikes that would trigger off energy to be stored as fat…it is Carbohydrates that are low in the Glycemic Index.
Foods include Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Collard Greens and of course lots of Protein Rich Foods like Chicken, Eggs, Beef, Pork, etc….This blog was made to give insight as well as helpful recipes to help others achieve their weight loss goals using the slow carb method…I am not a nutritionist…I am just a regular person who knows this form of eating works!!!

For detailed information on eating slow carb….I will add recipes and Meal ideas and information constantly to give variety to those wanting to try to eat in the slow carb manner.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Helpful Tips for slow carbers!!


Tip #1 - What should I eat for snacks?
-  There should be no need, or real physical urge, to eat snacks. If you are hungry between meals, you’re not eating enough protein and legumes at each meal. This is an uber-common screwup. I’ve been there too. EAT MORE! If you must snack, snack on vegetables. Or just have another Slow-Carb meal. If you get headaches or have other symptoms of low blood sugar, 90% of the time it will be because you are not eating enough.
Tip #2 - Do I really have to binge one a week?
-  Yes, it is important to spike caloric intake once per week. This causes a host of hormonal changes that improve fat-loss. In addition, everyone binges eventually on a diet, why not schedule it ahead of time to limit the damage? The psychological benefits outweigh even the hormonal and metabolic benefits…”you mean I’m allowed to have ice cream and cake and beer and pizza???”
Tip #3 - What about breakfast?
-  Most of my breakfasts consist of eggs, lentils, and spinach. I get my lentils/beans straight from the can. I also add salsa to my eggs as well (salsa is a great way to increase taste in your meals)
Tip #4 - What if I eat out all the time?
-  First thing, Mexican restaurants are perfect on this program, even Chipotle. Just get a meal with meat, beans, veggies, salsa and guacamole (yes guacamole is good!). Stay away from the tortilla, rice, cheese, sour cream and you’ll have a great Slow-Carb meal! As for other restaurants, order a piece of meat with a side of veggies. Try to get some beans as well, but if they don’t, substitute with a salad loaded with healthy veggies.
Tip #5 - I also add a serving of nuts/seeds with every meal as well. I got into this habit from last months challenge and have found greater sources of energy in doing this.
So, here’s a summary of the rules:
Rule #1 – Avoid ‘white’ carbs (or anything that can be white)
Rule #2 – Eat the same few meals over and over again
Rule #3 – Don’t drink calories
Rule #4 – Don’t eat fruit
Rule #5 – Take one day off per week and go nuts
Rule #6 – No dairy

Here’s a sample of my meal plan:

Breakfasts – scrambled eggs with salsa on top, with a side of beans (I sometimes add bacon or sausage as well). Or, If I’m strapped for time, I have a protein shake with almond or coconut milk, with a tbsp of natural peanut butter, a handful of spinach, no fruit.
Lunches – I stick with my turkey black bean chili. I make it in the crockpot, and I make enough to last me 4 days. This is my savior on this program. If I don’t have time to cook dinner I have this chili as well. If I find myself needing a snack, I have chili. Other lunches consist of tuna with salsa and salad, or a salad with chicken (or other lean meat) on top of it. When I’m out and about I do Chipotle or Adobo Grill; I get the bowl with beans, veggies, meat, salsa and guacamole.
Dinners – Dinners are pretty easy. My general rule of thumb is a piece of lean meat with at least two sides of veggies and a side of beans. If you’re at a restaurant and can’t get beans have more veggies, and even meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment